Every sport will have its own greats, but very few can change the complexion of a sport entirely like what Jordon and Sachin has done. NBA is not the same without Jordon and Cricket will not be the same when Sachin hangs his boots. NBA did not make Jordan popular, but Jordan made NBA popular around the world. Likewise cricket did not make Sachin popular, but Sachin made cricket popular throughout India, where every kid wanted to become Sachin Tendulkar. The similarity between the two did not end there
1) They were both from middle class families with many kids and lived in the commercial capital of their countries.
2) Michael Jordan tried out for the university basketball team, but at 5’11″ (1.80 m) he was deemed too short to play at that level and was rejected. Likewise when Tendulkar went to MRF pace foundation, he was deemed too short and was rejected. (Michael Jordan worked out and increased his height; Sachin focused on batting and they both went on to become the best in their field).
3) Both lost their fathers during the peak of their career. Michael Jordan’s father wanted him to play Baseball, his father’s death led him to retire from Basket Ball and he played Baseball in MLB just as his father dreamed. Sachin after losing his father went on to continue playing the World Cup as his mother insisted that his father would have wanted him to play for the country. Sachin’s father sponsored a kid from underprivileged family. He sent the kid who deliver the newspaper every day to school and took care of his education as the kid could not afford it. That after being a big family and living a middle class life. It was his father’s dream to help as many kids as possible by educating them. Sachin after the death of his father is pursuing what his father dreamt of, every year he sponsors 200 kids’ education. Works with cancer institute, funds blind children’s orphanages and does a lot more charity work without publicity.
4) Both Michael Jordan and Sachin Tendulkar are skillful in many games. While Jordon can play Baseball and American Football, Sachin was exceptionally skilled with Table Tennis, Karting and Soccer. Leander Peas after being defeated by Sachin in a series of Table Tennis matches said “He then said it is not cricket which made Sachin Famous, but Sachin would have become famous in any game he played.”
5) They have an extremely passionate fan base across countries and across clubs they play. When Jordan represented Chicago Bulls he was supported by everyone across all the club fans. When he played in the Olympics he was supported by fans from every country. Likewise in IPL when Sachin plays he gets support across every city even if he is playing against them. Despite being arch rivals Pakistan fans want Sachin to perform and India to lose the match.
6) Both Michael Jordan and Sachin Tendulkar feature in the top 5 of biggest sporting achievements ever, which features “The Shot” of Jordan and Sachin’s debut as a 16 year old.
Similarity Between Quotes about these two greats
Celtics star Larry Bird – “God disguised as Michael Jordan.”
Barry Richards- “Sachin is cricket’s god.”
Mathew Hayden “I have seen God. He bats at number 4 for India.”
Magic Johnson – “There’s Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us.”
Andy Flower – “There are 2 kinds of batsmen in the world. One Sachin Tendulkar; two all the others”
“By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.” —Introductory line of Jordan’s biography by NBA
“The Story of the World’s Greatest Batsman” - Introductory Line of Sachin’s Biography
Similarity Between Quotes by Sachin and Jordan
I hate losing and cricket being my first love, once I enter the ground it’s a different zone altogether and that hunger for winning is always there. – Sachin Tendulkar
I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win. – Michael Jordan
About Hard work:
All I do is put in hard work; the results will take care of itself. - Sachin Tendulkar
I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. – Michael Jordan
About their Heros:
“My parents taught me that it is important to live every day of your life with grace and honour. I would not be here if not for them.”
“There is no better source of inspiration for me than my father. Growing up as a child, I saw my father, a professor, pay for the education of our Newspaper person, who could not afford it. This is in a family where every penny mattered.”
- Sachin Tendulkar
My heroes are and were my parents. I can’t see having anyone else as my heroes. – Michael Jordan
I don’t expect people to always perform, what I expect from them is 100% commitment. – Sachin Tendulkar
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying. – Michael Jordan
If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. – Michael Jordan
Success is a process… During that journey sometimes there are stones thrown at you, and you convert them into milestones. – Sachin Tendulkar
Brand Jordan and Brand Sachin Tendulkar
Michael Jordan and Sachin Tendulkar have been the biggest brands of their respective games. Till the beginning of 2010 Jordan was the highest earning Basket Ball player and his record was broken by Kobe Byrant. Despite that Jordan is the biggest Brand to come out of sports in the US because he remained as the most sought after brand ambassador for over 15 years, likewise in a 20 year cricketing career Sachin has been the highest paid cricketer until this year when Dhoni overtook him. But as a brand Sachin is far ahead of any other sports person in India or for that matter among any celebrity.
Only those brand ambassadors who are durable can become a brand by themselves. Michael Jordan was a big brand ambassador in the 80s and till date he is a big brand ambassador. Sachin was a big brand ambassador in the early 90s and after two decades he still is a huge brand ambassador. While all other sports personalities’ performances and looks dictate their value, Jordan and Sachin are past that constraint, their value is not dependent on their performances.
While Nike created a brand based on Jordan titled “air Jordan” for the athletic goods, Adidas is doing the same with Sachin on cricket goods with his brand ST. Future group and Manipal Group started sports goods and Fitness goods with Sachin’s Brand S drive and Sach’s. Virgin Comics went on to make him as a super hero in their comic collection.
Commentators have often dubbed many new and emerging players as the next Michael Jordan including Hardaway, Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Vince Carter, and Dwyane Wade none went on to achieve his greatness in the sport or in popularity. This is the same with cricket, the commentators often say new emerging players as the next Tendulkar, but no one is even coming close to his greatness in the sport or in popularity.
As their brands are not purely built upon their sporting achievements, but upon the way they influenced the lives of millions of common men. The common man became happy with their success and felt sorrow with every failure of theirs.
Sachin himself is an admirer of Michael Jordan, in an interview (in 1999 when Sachin was 26 and Jordan was 36) when asked about Jordan, Sachin replied
I really do admire Michael Jordan for his fitness, I think he is 36, and to be at the top when somebody is that age really requires a lot of hard work and sacrifice. I really do admire him. My lifelong ambition is to play for as long as possible for India, and to keep winning matches for India.
He sure is living his dream and being on top of his game even at 37 and continuing to dominate world cricket, we wish him to play even after he cross the 40 mark like what Michael Jordan did.